11.05.2012

November 5, 1939 Sunday

November 5, 1939 Sunday

I was awaked (I can't write straight!) awakened by the ringing of the phone and I don't know whether it was Mom or just a voice in my mind that shouted Carl Herrman!  Well whatever it was I almost fell on my face making a hairpin curve out of my room and into the dining room to the phone.  The rest were just starting to get up and with trembling hands I lifted the phone and the operator said, "Your call from New York is coming through.  Do you want to take it?"  And I said, "Oh yes, thank you."  And then he said, "Hello." And I said, "Hello, is this Carl Gjerpen?" (Dumb question)  And he said, "Yes" and I said, "this is your cousin Ingrid," and he said in Norwegian, "oh is it?" and then we talked but for the life of me I can't remember about what and then Pop was up and he talked to him and then Mom got her chance and he's going to Boston but he'll be up next Saturday and I'm so excited.  Oh Gee how wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment