12.01.2012

December 1, 1939 Friday

December 1, 1939 Friday

I'm writing this on Dec. 2. It was hard to get up this morning but I made it and even enjoyed it after awhile. I started for work this afternoon humming under my breath and feeling just wonderful. Just as I reached the corner of Winter and Clark the accident happened! I was rushing along and swung my hand into the fence. My ring caught on the wire and pulled me backward. The agony was terrible! I hardly know how I got to work and when I did my finger was terribly swollen. I went to the nurse and she wasn't there but Mrs. Berg helped me soak it and when the nurse came I soaked it some more and tried to get the ring off but it wasn't any use. Mrs. Scott was afraid that I had fractured my finger and suggested that I go to the doctor with it - she bandages it up and put a splint on it. I went to the Flanagan and when I went up in the elevator the boy gazed at my finger with great respect and sympathy in his eyes. The doc filed off my ring I thought it was going to kill me it hurt so. Said he didn't believe it was broken but of course took the bandage off also took two bucks! The ELevator boy congratulated me on my freedom of bandage and I thanked him and he asked how long I had worn it and I couldn't say oh about 15 minutes and lose his respect so I said only a short while and got by that way. Ginny sick and Ev ditto so Noa had Dot and I up to see her new gown and fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment