8.31.2012

August 31, 1939 Thursday

August 31, 1939 Thursday

I have been living half in fear and half in anticipation of today. The reason for this was of course that if Karin showed up how would the girls act? She was supposed to come to supper but didn't appear until later. She called first and said she would be at meeting and there was a slight hesitation in her voice but I didn't encourage her. When she came in Mom asked if she'd had supper and she said "no" so of course Mom fed her. Noa came first and she acted noticeably cool and I didn't know what to do. I made  the bench ready and Noa helped and then we all sat in the front room and tried to converse. It was pretty awful. Dot, Ev, and Ginny came and things were a little better. Karin noticed I am sure, that things were not as they had been. I gave them their souvenirs which they liked (Coty's rouge and lipstick) and when they left Noa called me into the bedroom and said that when I got out of the car last night Dick said, "There goes one swell girl! She'll make some man a wonderful wife! She's the kind that will be loyal and true blue!" Whew! Imagine - If I didn't feel so awful I'd feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment