2.24.2012

February 24, 1939, Friday

February 24, 1939, Friday

Mother had some sad news, Mr. Anderson died today. He's been sick for quite some time now so I suppose he's really better off but its a pity because he wanted so much to live to see his boys grow up and get work so that Esther would have someone to support her. He didn't want to leave her destitute - Well thats life I guess - You don't ask if you can come and you're not asked if you want to leave.

And so came the Dance! I thought I had plenty of time so I didn't hurry so very much. Took my bath, put on my bath powder and rubbed my legs and hands with my hand cream. Put on my house coat and ironed my gown. Mom went down to see Mrs. Anderson. Time started to fly so I had to hurry. Still I didn't expect him until about 8:15 although Noa called yesterday and said he would be here between 8:00 and 8:30. I hurried and got ready - my hair did look nice and my gown was a lot better than I expected it would. I was just doing my nails when the bell rang and there he was at 8:00. I was surprised! I put on my black wrap and angora mittens and took the nail polish with me. Dick drove us up and went back after Noa. I introduced Mooney to Dot and the boys Art, Henry, and Bud. The girls were in the bedroom where I went to finish my nails. They looked so cute! The girls not my nails! We went in and I introduced them, Dick and Noa came and we had our buffet supper. Hot creamed lobster, muffins, delicious salad, coffee, cupcakes after which we went to the dance. Mooney and I rode with Karin and Bud. M. started to get affectionate but I held him off pretty well. Craig Lock wasn't such an awfully nice place and the music was terrible. We danced about two dances upstairs then K & B & M & I went downstairs and played the nicelodean and there we danced - It was a lot more fun there than upstairs. The rest of the gang came down and then later on they left. K, B, and I had a Tom Collins - I didn't drink more than a little of it. The gang went to the Yankee clipper and we followed later. I still wouldn't let Mooney kiss me and he said "Well you can't blame a man for trying" I smoked incessantly so that he wouldn't get a chance. We danced at the Clipper and didn't have a bad time. Noa and Dick went home early. I played the machine at the Clipper and it registered "cold" and M. said he thought as much - If he only knew! Driving home we talked about marriage and I said before I get married I'm going to think a long time about it and M. said "Well start thinking". What a line he has! Wonder if he thinks I fell for it? I don't think so. Got home about 1:30 and didn't kiss him goodnite. I don't think I'll see him again, I'm afraid I didn't encourage him any and I'm glad - terribly glad I didn't all in all have a bad time.

No comments:

Post a Comment